Department Head: Randi Peskin
The Stoneman Douglas Science Department supports the philosophy that science is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding of how the natural world works.
Click Here for the Science Curriculum Guide
Click Here for Science Teacher Contacts
Summer Assignments for Science
AP Biology Summer Assignment
You will be provided with a copy of the Starr & Taggert Biology textbook. HOWEVER, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase a used copy of the CAMPBELL, REECE Biology textbook. It is available on Amazon and eBAY, or from a student that took the course last year and would like to sell it to you. Please buy the 8th edition, as it aligns to the guided readings that you will be doing for almost every chapter throughout the school year.
I also have a digital copy of the textbook that you may have on flash drive. If you would like it before the summer come by room 936.
AP Biology is a work intensive class, we cover 38 chapters!!! However, if you keep up it will not become overwhelming. Here are a few assignments to give you a feel for the workload.
- Get a head start on GUIDED READINGS!!! Read the chapter and then complete the guided reading. See partial chapters below. Only read and complete required sections. (Be environmental and only print the required pages!)
Our first unit is Ecology, chapters 52-56. You will be required to turn in guided readings for all of these chapters over the first few weeks of school. All 5 chapters will be on ONE unit test.
These assignments are very long, time consuming, and graded for ACCURACY. Do not wait until the last minute to do this work.
2. PRINT the Brine Shrimp lab and Brine Shrimp Worksheet (links below). COMPLETE the Brine Shrimp Worksheet. READ the lab and COMPLETE the Experimental Design Planner (the last page) as it applies to this lab. We will be doing this lab the second week of school and these lab worksheets will be due then.
3.While AP Biology is a very technical course, it has very real world applications. Here is a list of summer reading suggestions to help you appreciate all you will be learning.
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (read the book BEFORE watching the TV movie)
- The Serengeti Rules by Sean B. Carroll
- Survival of the Sickest by Sharon Moalem
- Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin
- The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story by Richard Preston